Teacher's Pet Program
The Program's Intent
- Open up CMHS foster homes as more and more requests to surrender small animals are coming in, as we are the only open-door facility in Boone County that takes in and rehomes small animals.
- Teach kids how to properly interact with and care for small animals
- Teach students about what an animal shelter does
- Socialize the small animal to prepare them for their forever home
- Give exposure for the animal for adoption (students family, teacher, etc)
Ideally small animals that have been on the website for 2 weeks and have not had any applications for them. This will allow typical adopters to still have a chance to adopt them and allow shelter staff time to determine which animals are good candidates!
“Classroom pets” can include:
- Rabbits - preferably fixed
- Guinea pigs
- Small rodents (Hamsters, rats, gerbils, ...)
Reptiles and Birds if the teacher has experience and an appropriate set up is able to be facilitated.